Day 4

Today, we started out at daybreak from Wrightsville Beach, bound for a marina about 100 miles south, a few miles south of the Myrtle Beach area.

Weather was perfect, except for a fairly strong north wind, but since we had decided not to risk a long overnight offshore leg, the wind really didn’t affect us much. The sun rising over the marshes was really pretty, and the day ahead promised to be interesting.

The ICW in the area we covered today doesn’t contain any of the wide-open sounds like the Pamlico, and Albemarle, but it did have an area with a rather ominous name and reputation.

The area is a 26 mile stretch nicknamed the rockpile. It’s called that, because the ICW is a channel cut through very rocky terrain, and there are shelves of solid rock jutting out from the banks on each side, just waiting to tear a gash in the hull of a boat that strays to close to the edge of the channel. When the tide is out, a foot or more of the top of the rock ledges are exposed, but when we went through, it was almost high tide, so the ledges were just barely underwater. Made it much hairier, since you knew they were there, but you couldn’t see them.

We passed several smaller inlets today, and while the cruising guides warn of dire consequences if you aren’t prepared for strong cross-currents, we made it past them all without getting sucked out to sea.

For a wile, we were running south in the Cape Fear River and as we rounded a bend, a cargo ship that had just come in from the ocean appeared, and we had to be careful not to become a paint smudge on his bow. Those things are BIG, and deceptively fast.

We realized part way through the day that we wouldn’t be able to make it quite as far as we’d hoped, and still have any daylight left, so we called Osprey Marina which is about 10 miles north of our original destination. At about 10 knots, that equates to about an hour of running time, and would mean we’d have enough daylight to get settled in, hooked up to power, and maybe grab something to eat before it got dark.

I’m sitting here in the marina, but again, cell service is pretty sketchy, so I can’t post any pictures. Can’t even make a call with my phone…all I get is “No Service”

I guess they feel it necessary to explain to you that if the phone won’t work, it’s because you have “No Service”. Gee, I think I might have eventually been able to figure that out on my own.

Tomorrow, we’ll be in Charleston, SC and if I can’t get this wireless broadband device to work there, it’s going back to the store. I do have some interesting photos, and I hope I can figure out how to post a video that I took with my Iphone of the spray washing over the boat while we were in Pamlico Sound.

I’m having a good time, the boat is running pretty well for an older girl, and the fuel amount we are using is not as horrendous as I’d expected.

We went about 90 miles today, and I filled he tank with 66 gallons. Of course, we travelled pretty slowly today which helped keep the fuel burn down, but over the two previous days, with their higher speeds and/or longer distances, we burned around 400 gallons.

Since I can’t post pictures, I think I’ll wrap this up and hit the sack. 5:00 will come pretty early, so it would probably be smart to get some sleep.


About TwoCaptains

The TwoCaptains are Jim and Janet, both US Coast Guard licensed boat captains home-ported in Daytona Beach. We recently sold our 1990 Ocean Yachts 56' CPMY "Magic Carpet", and now we're in the hunt for a replacement.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s