Well, it looks like we are going to make a run for it. The coolant leak is still giving us problems, and today, on the way across Charleston harbor (which, by the way, is huge) we lost the starboard engine tachometer.
That tells us how fast the engine is running, and that’s important, because the best operation is when both engines are turning the same speed. There’s a little doohicky on the boat called a synchronizer that does just that…it synchronizes the speed of the two engines. When it works. From what I can determine, it is again a part worth a very few dollars that failed, effectively rendering the synchronizer useless, and as collateral damage, causing the starboard tach to stop working.
But…we can keep up with the coolant loss, and we can get the engines close to in-sync just by listening to them.
So, because we are both getting sick of this trip, we’ve decided to take advantage of an improved offshore forecast and go outside tomorrow from Charleston, and make an overnight run all the way to Mayport Inlet at Jacksonville.
At a leisurely 8 knots, it will take about 22 to 24 hours, and if we leave here at 7 to 8 tomorrow morning, we’ll arrive in Florida about the same time on Sunday.
I won’t be able to post anything while I’m offshore, and it may be a day or so after we get back in before I have slept enough to post again, but I promise I have some pictures worth seeing and a few more tales worth hearing (reading) and I’ll get them up here as soon as I can.
I want to get back home, see my wife and my boys, and hug all my cats.
Wish us luck.