And On The Fifth Day…

On the fifth day of our trip, the plan was to leave the marina at Osprey Marina and motor south in the ICW to Charleston, SC.

Everything we planned to do that day was accomplished except the getting to Charleston, SC part.

This was taken as we left the Osprey Marina. You can see the entrance channel to the marina in the upper right of the photo. Imagine trying to find that at night.

Also in this photo, you can see a fair amount of white smoke wafting from the stern. Now, in retrospect, it seems obvious to me that the starboard engine was doing the smoking, and the port engine wasn’t.

In a twin engine boat, when one engine is doing something that the other one isn’t, that’s usually a bad thing. I was tired, we were in a hurry, and I was just generally suffering from a lingering cranio-rectal inversion, and the significance of this smoke totally escaped me.

But not for long.

About an hour later, Steve made an engine room check and came back up to announce that we had a coolant leak. By that point, we were sort of in Nowhere-ville,

We figured that as remote as Osprey Marina had been, there was a pretty slim chance of going back there and finding a mechanic, so we decided to press on to Georgetown, where we were sure we could at least buy a radiator cap. I won’t go into the details of that little adventure, but if you haven’t already read it, you can find a blow-by blow in Day 5.

We found a pretty good chop in the marina when we got there,

but after an hour or so, when it got to slack tide, Magic Carpet was resting comfortably at the dock while we played Mr. Fix-It in the engine room.

I just noticed in this photo that when I put the the antennas on the boat up, I got them crooked. I need to get better about that. Boaters like to have all their things sticking straight up. I mean, …oh, never mind.

We’d had enough of my “mystery meat” meals by then, so we decided to go to a restaurant next to the marina for dinner. Had an excellent seafood dinner, a cold beer, and then it was a short walk back to the boat for a quick look at tomorrow’s charts.

It was going to be a day later than planned, but we were pretty sure we’d be in Charleston the next night. Turns out, we were right.


About TwoCaptains

The TwoCaptains are Jim and Janet, both US Coast Guard licensed boat captains home-ported in Daytona Beach. We recently sold our 1990 Ocean Yachts 56' CPMY "Magic Carpet", and now we're in the hunt for a replacement.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s