Well, there are lots of places we could go on our new boat. We could, for instance, go south to Jupiter for the weekend, or maybe a jaunt north to St. Augustine or Jacksonville.
Or we could stay at the dock in Daytona and slowly disassemble the boat into its myriad component parts.
We’ve apparently chosen the latter.
The boat has many different systems.
It has a propulsion system. Lots of stuff to take apart there. I’ve had the engine synchronizer partly apart, and have successfully reassembled it…I think.
I say “I think”, because we have not yet moved the boat far enough to engage the synchronizer since I fixed it. So, I’m gauging the success of that repair solely on the fact that I had no parts left over when I was done.
The blades were shot, so we took them off to replace them with the new ones I bought. But the wipers squeaked annoyingly when I used them crossing Pamlico Sound, so after taking off the old wiper blades, I decided to take off the whole wiper arms from the outside of the boat, and then remove the wiper linkage on the inside of the boat to lubricate it. But what if it was the motor squeaking? So, let’s go ahead and pull the motors down, which meant unhooking the wiring harness for each one and finding a way to close up the resulting holes in the boat above each windshield until I complete the work. Then I saw that the previous owner had been very fond of silicone as a means of plugging leaks.
Why replace an O-ring when you can shoot a glob of silicone all over everything and really mess it up. Those shafts are part of the linkage that I wanted to clean and lubricate. You know how hard it is to get that crap off?
The wiper motors are now at home awaiting a good cleaning and lubricating, and then when the new linkage gets here (yeah, I did) I’ll put it all together and put it back on the boat.
The boat also has a diesel/electric generator so we can run the important stuff like the refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker even if we aren’t near a dock.
The hoses for the generator all were quite old, so I bought an arm load of hoses, belts, filter and other genset bits and I thought “While I’m at it, I may as well clean out the heat exchanger”. Good thing. It was plugged full of debris. Hard to believe it even worked. So now, after a good acid bath, the heat exchanger is also sitting in my garage awaiting a new coat of paint, a new zinc, and reassembly onto the generator.
The boat has three heads. Twenty year old heads with twenty year old pumps that look like they haven’t been serviced in (you guessed it) twenty years. So, let’s take them out one at a time, pull and replace intake and discharge hoses (because of course, the new heads use different size hoses), run new water hoses to allow flushing with fresh water instead of sea water, and install new fresh water flush heads. No problem. Except that to get to some of the bits, you need to have the flexibility of an amoeba. Which I don’t.
The dinghy is an 11 foot hard-bottom Avon with a 40 hp Suzuki.
When it’s up on the flybridge, you really can’t get to anything to work on it, and it was obvious it hadn’t been run in quite a while. So, down it comes and my sons rowed it across to the boat ramp where we could put it on a borrowed trailer to bring it home. Now it’s in the side yard at home waiting to have the engine cleaned and repainted, then we’ll reverse the process and load it back onto the mother ship.
One of these days, hopefully soon, we may actually take Magic Carpet out for a run. That’ll be different.