Today was bright and sunny here in east central Florida. The wind was blowing gently, and the temperature, for the first time in many, many weeks, was actually rather pleasant. It was beautiful outside.
So naturally, I spent the day inside the boat working on the water tank.
After some gentle persuasion, I managed to pry the remaining tank loose from the floor enough to get a couple pieces of rope under it to use as lifting handles, since hands won’t fit far enough down the side to get under it.
I snookered a guy in one of the neighboring slips into coming over to help me lift it out, and with just a little grunting and minimal profanity, we got it out of the box and onto the floor of the stateroom. Yes Admiral, I did put a dropcloth down on the carpet first.
I knew the rotted wood of the deck extended up under the large tank to some extent, but the AW CRAP moment came when the tank was out and I saw this.
I decided that it looked pretty bad, but maybe that was just because of the viewing angle, so I looked at it from another angle…
Well, that didn’t help a bit.
I got out a pair of gloves and a couple trash bags, and started scooping the rotten stuff out. Once I was down to small pieces, I fired up my trusty shop vac and went to town.
After about a half an hour, it looked like this:
I have a fan in there now, and I’ll let it run all night to try to dry things out.
I THINK I’ll be able to avoid tearing out the box itself. I certainly hope so, because that would mean taking up the carpet, and getting much further into this than I am already.
Tomorrow, I’ll attack the remainder with an assortment of hand and power tools to try to clean up the ragged edges and define the limits of what has to come out and what can stay.
Then, I start rebuilding the supports, and then install a replacement deck. After that, the tanks go back in, the plumbing gets hooked back up, the top of the box goes back on, the mattress is replaced, and I’m done!
I’m so glad I chose a relaxing hobby like boating.