Progress!

Today was a very productive day.

The stabilizer company said they planned to be back this coming weekend to finish the internal parts, and I needed to make a few last-minute additions to the reinforcing work I’ve been doing, and get the internal housings painted.

The internal parts of the stabilizers looked like this after they were disassembled.

The operating cylinder was still attached when this was taken.

It’s hard to tell from this photo, but the square platform this all sits on does not extend to the hull (on the left in this photo). They told me that it would be best to tie this platform into the hull side with reinforcing material, so I’ve been working on doing just that.

I used a fiberglas-reinforced block and a whole lot of epoxy, and then fiberglassed the whole works together and to the hull. After I got it all done and painted, it looked like this.

After I finished that this morning, I tackled the water tank replacement project.

The old leaky tank had caused the whole floor underneath to literally rot away. This is what I found when the tanks were removed.

The wood floor was totally shot.

I took all the rotted stuff out all the way down to the stringers. It was just pure luck that the supporting members that were attached to the stringers weren’t rotted too. I got it all cleaned up and then spent several weekends fabricating a new support grid so that the replacement flooring would be as strong as the old floor was.

When the tanks are full, this new floor will have to support over a thousand pounds, so I wanted to make sure the supports were up to the task.

I got the supporting grid finished, and then installed two layers of plywood flooring, fastening it all down with copious amounts of polyurethane adhesive and stainless steel screws.

This is the finished product.

New floor, ready for the tanks to go back in.

Next weekend, I’ll put the tanks back in, and start hooking up all of the hoses to and from the tanks. I’m going to add a filtering system while I’m at it, and when that’s all done, the top of the berth goes back on and it will be a stateroom again instead of a workroom.

Advertisements

About TwoCaptains

The TwoCaptains are Jim and Janet, both US Coast Guard licensed boat captains home-ported in Daytona Beach. We recently sold our 1990 Ocean Yachts 56' CPMY "Magic Carpet", and now we're in the hunt for a replacement.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Progress!

  1. Maureen says:

    You’ll have the whole boat, better than new, before you are finished.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s