It’s been a long time since I’ve posted anything, but I do have a good excuse.
You see, we bought a house.
And sold our business.
And sold our office building.
And started a significant renovation of the new house.
And cleaned up the old house to get ready to sell it.
We’ve been busy.
I haven’t even been to see Magic Carpet in over two months, but I’m hoping to get back there soon to pick up where I left off with boat projects.
In the meantime though, let me bring you up to date on our land-based activities.
We bought a house just a bit south of Edgewater, Florida back in November. It’s on an acre of land, and about half of that was left in its primal state, completely overgrown with palmettos, scrub oaks and a variety of weeds and vines. I first thought about renting a Bobcat and trying to clear it out myself, but soon realized I would have been in way over my head, so we hired a guy with some serious hardware.
Even with this kind of muscle, it took him three days to clear everything out.
We have five cats, and we like to let them roam the back yard when we’re out with them, so we needed to put up a fence around the newly-cleared yard. It was a little chilly the day I took this photo, and Janet was all dressed up in her “Oh my frickin’ lord it’s cold out here” garb, but this will give you an idea of the extent of the fence. It’s about 125 feet across in back, and then down the far side too.
Those things that are sticking out from the tops of the fence post are Purrfect Fence. It’s a set of spring-loaded arms holding up plastic mesh deer fencing, and is supposed to keep cats from trying to jump the wood fence. Of course this shows just the first 80 feet or so of the wood fence treated, and we have about a bazillion more feet to go, but so far, they seem to be deterred. You can see the temporary chain link fence in the background…that will come down when we have the Purrfect Fence all the way around the yard, and then the critters will have free roam of the back yard.
Inside, we had three major projects going on at once.
There were three bathrooms, including one just inside the garage door.When we first looked at the place, I told Janet I could convert that to an indoor laundry room, and bring the washer and dryer in from the garage. Unfortunately, she thought that was a good idea.
This is the bathroom as we found it,
And after tearing out the tub/shower, the toilet, the vanity and the floor tile, and repairing the drywall and installing new electrical, plumbing and tile floor, this is the finished laundry room.
The next project was the other downstairs bathroom. It too, had an all-in-one fiberglass tub/shower.
Only this one came with a crack in the floor of the tub that we didn’t notice during our inspection of the property. When showering, water collected in the crack and when you stepped just right, it shot up your leg like a squirt gun. Kind of disconcerting.
Well, that tub had to come out, and so we decided that the door between the bathroom and the adjacent bedroom had to be closed off (this picture was taken through that doorway) and we may as well replace the ceramic floor tiles, toilet and vanity while we’re at it.
That bathroom is a work in progress. The tub was torn out, a new tub installed, the toilet and floor were removed and new toilet and tile floor installed. I’m finishing the drywall repair where the door used to be, and then we’ll have the walls textured to match the existing, I’ll install the new cabinets, and the granite vanity top will be cut and installed.
The biggy is the family room.
The house has a very large porch in back, covered with a vaulted, wood-plank ceiling,
but to get to it from the rest of the house, you had to walk the length of the Hallway of Doom.
The porch is waaaaaaay down at the end of that hall. There were four bedrooms, two on each side, and the bathroom along the hallway. We decided that removing the hallway walls for the last two bedrooms, and converting the resulting space into a family room adjacent to the porch made sense for us.
After verifying that the trusses would allow for this surgery, I commenced to cuttin’.
I truly do love my Sawzall.
After taking the walls down, it looked like a spaghetti factory had exploded due to the wires hanging from the ceiling.
The sliding glass door on the left, and what was the door from the hallway will both be removed, and a 12′ sliding glass door will be installed. The slider on the right will be converted to a five foot by four foot picture window. Just a little to the left of where the ladder is, we’ll install a new four foot by four foot window to match the one on the opposite wall (in what was the other bedroom).
With the large doors and windows, we should have plenty of light in the room, and when all that’s done, we’ll paint the ceiling and walls, and install new laminate flooring.
I’ll post some more photos of the work as it progresses, and I hope soon to be able to go back to writing about our boat and some of the things we do to her and the places we plan to go.
Until then, I’m going to be up to my elbows in drywall mud, but at least it keeps me off the streets and out of the bars.