Well, it really hasn’t been quite that bad, but it sure has seemed like it.
My plan, as you may have deduced by my previous reference to a windlass installation trilogy, was to enthrall you with the details of the final installation of our new Maxwell windlass.
As it turned out, the past month or so has been consumed with several different projects, and the windlass installation, although almost complete, cannot yet be considered “done”.
The issue that caused the derailment was a long-standing problem with leaking windows in the forward cabin. I thought I could remove the windows, re-bed them in an adhesive mastic and reinstall them, solving the problem.
With that cheery and totally unrealistic thought in mind, I started work one day to remove the two dozen or so screws that held the frame to the side of the boat. Now you’d expect that the frame, being made of aluminum, would have fairly regular dimensions, and fairly straight lines, and you’d be right. You’d also expect that when the hole was cut into the side of the boat for the frame to be fitted, the hole-cutting person would take care to try to match with some degree of precision, the regular dimensions and straight lines of the frame, so as to make a nice, close fit.
Once I got the first frame out, I could see that the hole in the side of the boat must have been cut by a meth addict with a Chinese chain saw. I could see right away that there was no way in the world that the bits and pieces could be reassembled to create a leak-free result.
So, after an appropriate period of pondering and musing, I decided that the only thing that would result in the desired leak-free condition, was to completely close up the holes, fiberglass over everything, and then install two small portholes to let light and air into the forward stateroom.
I’ve done my share of fiberglass work, and having done so, have determined that I’d rather go to the dentist than do more fiberglass work, so I decided that I’d hire out the work.
I got a couple quotes, and went with a guy who came across as knowledgeable and competent. I’ve since changed my opinion of him.
I won’t bore you with the sordid details, but today Janet and I moved the boat to another boatyard where I’ll have the paint work done that Mr. Knowledgeable and Competent assured me he could do, until last week when he suddenly proclaimed the painting to be outside his comfort zone. So now I have another person doing that part, and this time, I did LOTS of research and this guy comes highly recommended by many of my marina friends, so I have a feeling the painting will go well.
When he’s done, I’ll cut two large holes in the freshly painted cabin sides, and install the portholes. Yeah, it does seem sort of bass-ackwards, but there are reasons for doing it that way. It’s a boat…it doesn’t have to make sense.
Anyway, after that’s all done, I can install the final through-hull to drain the anchor locker, and the windlass project will then also be done, and we can finally start accepting reservations for day trips. We’re really looking forward to this new venture, and as soon as our new website is up and running, I’ll post the address here so you can all check it out.